In June 1667 the Dutch, under the command of Admiral Michiel de Ruyter, bombarded and captured the town of Sheerness, sailed up the River Thames to Gravesend, then sailed up the Medway to Chatham and Gillingham, where they burned three capital ships and ten lesser naval vessels, and towed away HMS Unity and the English flagship, HMS Royal Charles.
The Cruising Association Kent Section Winter Warmers are held at 8pm on the 2nd Thursday of each month at The Dog & Bear Hotel, The Square, Lenham, ME17 2PG. Situated 8 miles east of Maidstone, just off the A20 in the village square. All are welcome. There is a small charge of £3. Many eat beforehand and it helps speed up service if you telephone the pub on 01622 858219 and order your meal before 5pm.
Further CA Winter Warmers will be as follows:
- 9 November 2017: Matt Craughwell on Rowing the Atlantic Ocean
- 14 December 2017: Jeremy Littlewood, HM Coastguard, on Safety Equipment for yachts
- 11 January 2018: Patricia & Neil Lynn, Engineering Our Way Across Europe aboard Sea Griffin
- 8 February 2018: Members’ Confessions, what went right or wrong?
- 8 March 2018: Jeremy Batch on 110 Years of Cruising