Why not sign up for the next RYA development workshop to find out how to develop a grant or fund application? The workshop will be held at Gillingham Marina on 10 February 2016. More details…
For the second year running Medway Yacht Club is hosting the SE Regional Finals of the Honda RYA Youth RIB Championships, sponsored by Gillingham Marina. Further details…
The advice on the RYA’s website concerning going to Belgium with red diesel in your tank does not seem to have changed. However the latest Yachting Monthly states that the Belgian government has announced that it will once again be enforcing its ban on dyed fuel. The MSBA has today asked Gus Lewis, Head of Legal & Government Affairs at the RYA, for clarification and this is his reply:
“Last year the Belgian Government issued a formal statement to the effect that UK boaters would not be penalised for the presence of red diesel in their yachts’ fuel tanks. That formal position statement was time-limited and it expired at the end of last year.
“The Belgian Government has so far declined to reissue its formal position statement but our understanding is that, at a practical level at least, nothing has changed since last year and while it continues to be unlawful for recreational boaters to use red diesel in Belgium no action will be taken in relation to fuel bought in the UK.
“We are not aware of any UK boaters having been fined in Belgium this year for having red diesel in their yachts’ fuel tanks.”
As part of the RYA initiative to widen participation in boating, many of our local clubs, marinas and training centres are having open days, when you can go on the water for a “taster session,” on the weekend of 16/17 May. To find out which, visit the RYA website
Tom Banks oversaw the development of youth and adult sailing within the local community for over 25 years. During this time he dedicated his weekends to provide recreational sailing and racing for young and old alike. He inspired a dedicated team of volunteers at what is now the Medway Watersports Centre.
Tom’s funeral will take place on 3 March 2015 at 1000 hrs. It will be held at Medway Crematorium, Robin Hood Lane, Chatham, ME5 9QU. A wake will take place afterwards at Medway Cruising Club.
The RYA Volunteer Awards, the MBE’s of our sport, recognise the outstanding contributions made by volunteers throughout the UK.
Nominations for 2015 awards now invited
- RYA Award – presented to outstanding individuals for their commitment and services to boating and the RYA at a regional or national level.
- RYA Family Award – presented to a family group who is deserving of recognition for the impact they have made both individually and collectively.
- Francis Elkin Award – Presented to an individual who has made a significant contribution in time, effort and personal endeavour in enabling people with disabilities to become involved in sailing.
- RYA Community Award – presented to outstanding individuals for their exceptional commitment and services to boating at club or grass roots level. Individuals must be nominated by their club/centre or organisation to receive an Award, in one of three categories. Clubs may only make one nomination in each category:
- Lifetime Commitment – someone who has shown exceptional commitment and dedication to their club or organisation for at least 15 years
- Outstanding Contribution – someone who has volunteered for less than 15 years but who has nonetheless made a significant contribution. This could be a single or ‘one-off’ contribution.
- Youth – someone under the age of 25 on the 1st October 2015 who has demonstrated a regular commitment and/or inspirational contribution which is over-and-above their own participation or achievement within the sport.
Award winners and their guests will be invited to a special presentation ceremony and luncheon in London in November 2015. This is a great opportunity to recognise and reward outstanding contribution made to our sport by individual volunteers.
For further information and to download a nomination form please visit: www.rya.org.uk/go/ryavolunteerawards
or call or email the volunteering department on 023 8060 4199 email@example.com
Written nominations should reach the RYA by Monday 27 April 2015